Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Day 29

This morning we woke up a bit late - exhausted from Universal. We showered, had a bite to eat, checked out and drove to south Beach. With impeccable timing, a storm rolled in as soon as we got there and everyone left the beach.

The sky looked blue a bit further on so we drove down to Vero Beach.

Not a cloud in the sky! We set up our field and played the second game in our Wiffle Ball World Series. I won the first game that we played on Sandy Neck beach and was eager to get another victory. After Paulo opened a 5-0 lead, I shut him down and took my second win 11-5 to go 2-0 up in the Series.

It was extremely hot so we decided to go for a shwim - the water was perfect! Not too cold and not like bath water - the perfect temperature in between and the waves were a decent size as well.

After the swim, we were both a bit Hank so we had a bite in Mulligan's Bar And Grill on the beach. The Johnny Rambos were nice and there was a great breeze blowing through the place. We were sat at the bar and had to listen to a life story guy. You know the type? They tell the bartender their entire life story over a beer. Whether the bartender wanted to know it or not. We sure as hell didn't.

We got back into the car and turned right to get back on 95S, heading towards Fort Lauderdale. The drive was pretty uneventful and we arrived in Lauderdale By The Sea at about 4:30. We stayed in Fort Lauderdale Hotel & Resort Suites because it was in the book (Room Saver) and it was cheap. It turns out that we weren't really anywhere near Fort Lauderdale but we were both too tired to really care.

Hunger moved in so we went in search of a place to eat. We chose a place called Thai Spice because it was in a book of suggested restaurants and apparently won a bunch of awards. The food was good but the service was OTT. The atmosphere wasn't great either. But you do the best you can in a strange town. Sometimes you choose a good place, sometimes you don't.

On the way back to the hotel, we called into Village Pub which is next to Anglin Pier. We wanted to walk out Anglin Pier for a look but they actually charge you two dollars to go out on the pier. Ridonkulous! So we settled for the pub, partly because we were thirsty but mostly because the owners were huge Red Sox fans and had lots of Sox stuff all over the bar. We had a relaxer and watched the Yankees lose to the Orioles.

Then we went back to the hotel for a couple of quiet beers at the outside Tiki Bar below our room. The other people at the bar were, well, strange to say the least. It was quite a collection of tramps, hobos (us) and dodgy looking characters.

Another day under our belts, we retired and quickly fell asleep.

No comments: